Marysville in those days was a thriving, bustling town, ranking fourth in size in the State of California, and was pre-eminently and express center.
To indicate the prominence attained by its numerous express enterprises, it boasted of and “Express Hotel,” used as headquarters by many of the express lines and a newspaper called the “California Express,” a tri-weekly, published by J. McElroy & Co., and largely maintained by the advertising patronage of various express companies.
Some of these feeder lines were made up of less important lines, one beginning where the other ended, the whole net-work of express service closely resembling the present-day postal service in its subdivisions of star routes.
(From “FILATELIC FACT AND FALLACIES”, Vol. 3-4, 1894-6, page 66)