Western Expresses Alphabetically
Mead & Davis Letter Express – 1864 to Nov 1865
Hiram W. Mead and I. W. Davis were the proprietors of this express, which was an adjunct to their stage line, serving the Clear Creek Mining District about 100 miles southeast of Visalia. The route ran between Visalia and Havilah, connecting with Wells, Fargo & Co. at the former location. The exact startup date in 1864 is not known, as applicable newspapers are sparse. The Mead & Davis partnership dissolved on Nov 4, 1865, with Mead forming a new partnership with William H. Clarke, to form Mead & Clarke’s Letter Express.
By Mead & Davis Letter Express to Visalia; by Wells, Fargo & Co. Express Visalia to San Francisco. One of only four known examples from this short-lived express.
First ad, Jun 15, 1865 San Francisco Bulletin
Mead & Clarke’s Express – Nov, 1865 to Jul, 1867
Hiram W. Mead and William H. Clarke were the proprietors of this express, which succeeded the Mead & Davis Letter Express on Nov 4, 1865. They operated between Visalia and Havilah, the principal town in the Clear Creek Mining District. They connected with Wells, Fargo & Co. at both Visalia and Havilah. Clarke bought out the interest of Mead in the partnership on Jul 6, 1867, with the nesspaper article stating that he planned to “go it alone” with the stage line. No mention of the Letter Express was made.
By Mead & Clarke Letter Express into Havilah; by Wells Fargo & Co. Havilah Jun 7 (1866 or 1867) for delivery to San Francisco.
Paid Mead & Clarke Over Our Clear Creek Route; by Wells Fargo & Co. San Francisco Jun 12 (1866 or 1867) for delivery. As this franked envelope is only half of a paste up, the final destination is not known. One of only two known examples of this printed frank and of only four total from Mead & Clarke.
Miller & Co.’s Express – Spring, 1857 to Mar, 1859
Miller & Company’s Express consisted of Solomon M. Miller and C .W. H. Solinsky, who operated from Chinese Camp to the Tuolumne County mining camps of Big Oak Flat, First Garrote, Second Garrote, and Don Pedros Bar, as well as to other bars and flats along the Tuolumne River. They connected with Wells, Fargo & Co. at Chinese Camp. On Mar 22, 1859, Wells Fargo & Co. appointed the firm of Miller & Co. as its agents in Chinese Camp, likely marking the end of their express.
By Wells, Fargo & Cos Express S. Frco Dec 18 to Chinese Camp; by Miller & Co. Express Chinese Camp for to I [Roman numeral one] Garrote in Tuolumne County. One of only two known examples from this express.
Oct 28, 1854 Sonora Union Democrat article about Chinese Camp, mentioning the banking house of “Miller & Solinski.”
Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express – Mar, 1866 to Jun, 1868
In Feb, 1866, Joseph R. English sold his express running between Nevada City, Washington, Alpha, and Omega to Robert W. Latta. English then purchased Jeremiah G. Philip’s interest in Philip & Gregory’s Express, forming Gregory & English’s Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express, which ran from Nevada City to Lake City, North Bloomfield, Moore’s Flat, Woolsey’s Flat, Orleans Flat, and Eureka South. They connected with Wells Fargo at Nevada City. In early June, 1868, Gregory sold his one-half interest to Lovell Hutchins Wells, after which the business operated at English & Wells’ Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express.
By Gregory & English’s Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express from Moore’s Flat to Nevada with their Moore’s Flat Express “spread eagle” handstamp; by Wells Fargo Nevada Jan 13 (1867 or 1868) to San Francisco. Only two reported examples of this Type 2 printed frank.
First ad for “Gregory & English’s Nevada and Moore’s Flat Daily Express and Stage Line,” from the Mar 3, 1866 Nevada City Daily Gazette
Moore’s Flat and Eureka Expresses – Mar, 1866 to Apr, 1872
Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express operated under numerous ownership structures: Gregory & English (Mar, 1866 to Jun, 1868), English and Wells (Jun, 1868 to Nov, 1869), L.H. Wells (Nov, 1869 to Mar, 1870), Wells & Co. (Mar, 1870 to Jun, 1871), and Wells & Herrings (Jun, 1871 to Apr, 1872). Wells also operated the North San Juan and Humbug Express under both the Wells and L.H. Wells names. The Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express operated over a route from Nevada City to Lake City, North Bloomfield, Moore’s Flat, Woolsey’s Flat, Orleans Flat, and Eureka South. They connected with Wells Fargo at Nevada City.
By English & Wells’ Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express Type 1 printed frank to Nevada City; Wells Fargo & Co. Nevada Nov 17 (1868 or 1869) to San Francisco. It is believed that the Graniteville Cal. Nov 16 is thought to be an express agent’s marking.
By L.H. Wells’ Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express to Nevada City; Wells Fargo & Co. Nevada Feb 11 (1870) to Sacramento. The Graniteville, Cal Feb 10 postmark is thought to be an express agent’s marking.
Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express – Mar, 1866 to Apr, 1872
By Wells & Co’s Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express to Nevada City, Wells Fargo & Co. Nevada Aug 8 (1870) to Vallejo, in the San Francisco Bay area.
By Wells & Herring’s Moore’s Flat and Eureka Express to Nevada City; Wells Fargo & Co. Nevada Aug 1 (1871) to San Francisco; Wells Fargo & Co. San Francisco Aug 2 for delivery. One of only four known Type 1 printed franks (six total known used examples).
Morley, Caulkins & Co.’s Express – Fall, 1855 to Aug/Sep 1857
George W. Morley and Silas Caulkins partnered to serve the mining camps of La Porte and the Gibsonville Ridge area. They connected with Pacific Express Co. at Marysville, or deposited outbound letters to the nearest post office on their route. They did not advertise their express; thus, the exact dates of operation are unknown. Morley joined with Fenton B. Whiting, Henry C. Everts and Emerson E. Meek in Aug/Sep, 1857 to form Whiting & Co.’s Express. The end of Morley, Caulkins & Co.’s Express was presumably around this same time.
Mumby & Co.’s Express – Apr 30, 1851 to Jun 12, 1851
Joseph M. Mumby and Henry P. Reed were the proprietors of Mumby & Co’s Express. Their first advertisement appeared on Apr 30, 1851. Prior to that date, Mumby had been a messenger for Palmer & Co’s Express, the predecessor company to Mumby’s. The route was from San Francisco by steamboats of the Union Line (steamers Confidence and William G. Hunt) to Benicia and Sacramento, then on to Fremont, Nicolaus, Plumas (City), Eliza, Yuba City, Marysville, and Nevada City. They connected at San Francisco with Dodge & Co. to all areas outside California. Mumby & Co’s Express sale to Freeman & Co’s Express was announced on June 12, 1851.
By Mumby & Co’s Express with PAID on folded letter datelined Sacramento 12 May 1851 to San Francisco; notation with Bottle, explained within letter……With this you will receive a sample of Primo Martell Brandy. There is but a small lot only 130 gal but it is A No. 1 – The same style they used previous to fire at Union Hotel Brown & Bartels. I saw Brown here & he says that he now pays $6.50 for this article. Sell it if you can at 6.00 & the party here will allow you 4/- per gallon on it…W. H. Hall
Apr 30, 1851 Sacramento Transcript first ad for Mumby & Co’s Express
Western Expresses Alphabetically